Civil engineers design major construction projects, such as Buildings, roads, airports, tunnels, dams and bridges. Also they supervise project construction and maintenance, they must possess a very broad skill set, from cost accounting to geology. Many civil engineers have jobs that require a very hands-on role in construction, sound knowledge while others may have positions more heavily weighted toward supervisory and administrative skills. So following are the basic requirements of a successful civil engineer.
Here are Some Basic knowledge which A Good Civil Engineer must have.
1. TESTS OF CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS:
A Good Civil engineer must know these tests to ensure quality of work.
a] Soil Test: Standard Penetration Test, Sand Replacement Method, Core Cutter Method, Standard Proctor Test, Compression test, Triaxial Shear test, Permeability Test.
b] Aggregate Test: Crushing test, Abrasion test, Impact test, Soundness test, Specific gravity and water absorption test.
c] Cement Test: Soundness Test, Fineness Test, Consistency Test, Setting Time Test, Specific gravity Test, Strength Test.
d] Bitumen Test: Penetration Test, Ductility Test, Softening point Test, Specific Gravity Test, Viscosity Test, Flash and Float Test.
e] Concrete Test: Slump Test, Compressive Strength Test, Water Absorption Test.
These are the Some important Test which A good Engineer Should Know How to perform.
2. An Engineer Should aware use of Surveying Instruments like Total Station, Theodolite for marking and measurements. He must know about the latest software of drafting and analysis like AutoCAD, Staad, MX Road etc.
3. A Civil Engineer should know the standard specifications For construction works. Every country has different specifications. Before Started your work you should know the specification or standards of your country.
4. A Civil Engineer should be aware about Bar bending Schedule.
Bar Bending Schedule provide the reinforcing details such as cutting length of bar, Type of bend, the length of bending, Shear reinforcement etc.
5. A Civil engineer should be able to read and understand technical drawings, by which a civil engineer can able to guide the subordinate as per design. An Engineer should be able to prepare Estimates and bills for work.
A good engineer should be aware of new technology for Quality control. He must be know How to deal with labour and how to take work from them.